Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ch...Ch...Ch...Changes...

Oh boy are there changes afoot! First, I am leaving my predictably stable job at a major University/Hospital to get one step closer to pursuing my dream of being a nurse. While it isn't difficult to leave what I do...it is very difficult to leave the group I work with. They are funny, witty, charming and they drive me batty. But I love 'em. Dearly.

I will begin my new career as a Certified Nurse Tech. There are many names for this position, but the job is basically the same. Butt-wiper. Babysitter. Whatever you want to call it. It's the low person on the proverbial nursing totem pole. It's not my dream job, but that's okay. It's a step in the right direction.

The pros:  I will be a 1/2 hour closer to home. I will be working in the float/flex pool which means I go where they send me. (Think about all the kinds of experience I will be getting). I schedule myself as little or as much as I want/need. They will work with my nursing program schedule which has been why I have been unable to begin nursing school. I am hoping it means I get more time with my punks.

The cons:  Well, no benefits and no accruing sick/vacation time. And the lack of a set schedule means no predictability in pay.  So I am freaking out that I won't get the hours that I need to pay the bills. We have gotten quite used to having electricity and running water.

Tomorrow I take the HESI and I'm terrified. Yes, I have been accepted to the nursing program 3 times. Yes I have only had to take the then "NET" exam once. I didn't study. I passed. However, this time I bought a study guide. Now that I have gone through it I am absolutely terrified. The HESI appears to be the NET on steroids. So tomorrow is the last day I can take the HESI to be considered for fall semester and I am totally unprepared.

I had been applying for jobs as a CNT for 3 months with nothing as much as a whisper. Then all of a sudden...BAM! I got 2 job interviews. This job change came at me so quickly and with so many details/schedule issues to work out that I found little time to order the book and then study.

What's the worst thing that could happen? I fail the HESI and do not get considered for the fall semester at Aquinas. The best thing? I get more time at my current position, re-apply to take the HESI and have more time to study.

So as you can see, many changes are happening fast and I'm doing my best to be prepared for them. It is what it is. I will do my best, but at the end of the day my faith, my family and my friends will carry me through.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck!!!!! I'm sure you will do just fine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HESI is a piece of cake...you will do fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're gonna do great Chanel, and I'm so happy you are taking this big step. We all start out as ass-wipers in one way or another...

    ReplyDelete